Sunday, 26 May 2013

A poem

It's 3am and I'm lying here awake,
Sugar I must take,
To ensure I get it through the night,
It takes all my might

It's 3am and I'm lying here shaking,
My muscles are aching,
My sleep is on the line,
In a few moments I will be fine

I hate nights like this,
My sister is next to me, dreaming in bliss,
I put the pot of dextrose tablets down,
Fifteen minutes till the next finger prick comes around

It's 3am and I need a drink,
Why am I thirsty, I need to think,
I have over-treated,
I am high and over-heated

It's 3am and I have a headache,
I just want to sleep for goodness sake,
the world is asleep,
I hear my insulin pump beep

The correction does is finished,
All my energy diminished,
I should be fine now,
Fifteen minutes until the next finger prick comes around.

At the moment it is actually 3am and I am awake right now. I am not very good at writing poems but I needed to do something to help me stay awake so I can treat my low blood sugar. The poem basically talks about how diabetes never takes a break and it is a 24/7 thing, even in the middle of the night. I can't forget about diabetes, even when I am in bed.

-Ellie
[Peace&Insulin]

1 comment:

  1. that is a good poem Ellie. Maybe I'll type up the diabetes poem i wrote and post it on my blog.

    ReplyDelete