Search This Blog

Monday 24 June 2019

Support

Support. It's the very foundation that the diabetes online community is built on, we're there for each other because we understand each other, we look out for one another. Or so I thought.

When I was fourteen years old I opened a laptop and wrote my first blog post, and I posted it. I was a teenager trying to navigate the world at the same time as navigating a chronic condition and writing blog posts was my way of venting, of clearing my head, I didn't expect that people would read my thoughts, but they did and that's why I'm where I am today.

That's why the past 10 years of my life with Type 1 Diabetes have been an absolute whirlwind but also full of cool events and speaking opportunties and volunteering, and I hope it continues that way. Being an advocate for this disease has given me a purpose and made me feel like all those nights I've spent in hospital or been up at 3am treating a hypo, or worrying about what my retinal screening results will say, haven't been in vain. I don't feel like there are reasons for everything because some things are just crap, but I feel there was a reason for this, for my Type 1. Maybe.

In life lots of people get lots of different opportunities, some don't, some don't want to put themselves forward and some don't do much to get themselves there. For example in school, in schools there's often a Head Girl or Head Boy, they're chosen because they have something to say, they're good in school and they deserve that recognition and they want to represent their fellow pupils. Now not all the pupils can undertake those roles, but it doesn't mean their voices are any less or that they don't deserve to be heard, but just because they're all pupils at the same school it doesn't mean they're entitled to that title and there are still other ways they can contribute.

I want you to keep that analogy in mind, as a loose explanation of what I'm about to write.

Twitter has been a hub of negativity for the past couple of days in light of recent events, one being the dxLisbon bloggers event with Abbott and the other being the invites to No.10 Downing Street. Two wonderful opportunities full of wonderful people all of whom deserved to be where they were. However as with any high profile diabetes event, they didn't come without their negative perceptions. Many were confused about the bloggers event, questioning motives and whether or not it was ethical, others questioned the Downing Street event wondering why some were invited and others weren't.

I won't get into the details, but what I will say is every single event or conference attended by people with diabetes is always on behalf of the wider community, they're representative, and the bloggers event with Abbott is full of learning and positive experiences and skills they can bring back to Social Media and no one is obliged to speak about their products or services. The Downing Street event was to celebrate those who work tirelessly to improve the lives of everyone with diabetes - so what is with the jealousy and the tearing down of those who were lucky enough to attend?

There is no harm in celebrating other people's successes and being proud of their achievements. And the only reason they are there is because they have dedicated their time to the greater good. Yesterday I was told that by accepting invites to speak at conferences I'm taking away someone else's opportunity and that we need to make way for others. They're right, it is so important for everyone to be heard, but it's not fair to say I'm taking something away from someone else, I have spoken at conferences on something I'm passionate about and have experience in, and I hope other people will take up and/or seek out opportunities to do the same with aspects they're passionate about.

When I was fourteen years old I did not wait for someone else to pave the way for me to get my voice heard, I just did it, and people listened and it's opened up a whole new world which I am grateful for, and I encourage others to do the same. Shout louder if you want to be heard but always remember we are in this together and no one would intentionally drown out someone else's voice.

It's seen as a massive problem that some go to events and conferences and others don't get invited, and this might be an unpopular opinion but I will say it anyway, some people just don't put themselves out there enough and that's fine and that does not mean that you do not have a story to tell, but just because we all have Type 1 Diabetes it doesn't make us all entitled to do the same things as everyone else, and that's where that analogy comes in.

And it is not fair to put others down for accepting opportunities that are presented to them because I'm sure you would do the same if you were invited.

Yes, organisations could work to be more inclusive and online events could be considered an option for certain things but they do not hold the same value as a face to face event. But the truth is sometimes people are asked to do things because they're the right person for the job or they stood out, and we all deserve that platform we really do. Blogging was my escape, then it became my passion and then it became the reason that living with Type 1 is "ok" but going to Twitter and seeing people refer to blogs as "tedious" and "weak" because you're unhappy you didn't get an invite to an event is wrong.

Do not forget that there are so many things you can do to make an impact, if you are truly passionate then look for ways to help. Volunteering my time at Diabetes UK events is so much more rewarding than any high profile event will ever be, and while I love public speaking, things like volunteering are the things that make a huge directly positive impact on lives.

Another thing we are all entitled to is an opinion, and mine might be just as unpopular or popular as the next person's so continue to speak your mind on social media if you want to, but don't pin it all on people who are doing nothing but trying to do good. And if you are someone who is trying to "intimidate" others on social media then do stop, it only creates a bigger rift. I've never had a personal agenda and would never dream of it, I also never imagined I'd get the opportunities I've had.

There shouldn't be a divide like this, we're all in this together even when it doesn't feel like it, just because one PWD with diabetes is at 10 Downing Street and you aren't or another is at a bloggers event or is speaking at a conference, it doesn't mean you aren't worthy of recognition it's just the way things are sometimes, but also remember that no one gets a free ride, and I hope one day that more people will put themselves out there and can get involved and trust me you can be, where there is a will there is a way.

People can choose to be hostile and fight with each other over who should be where, or we can celebrate one another's successes and look for ways that we can get involved ourselves no matter how big or small. I hope I've managed to get my point across with this post, and I hope to continue advocating and taking up opportunties if they arise but this "problem" also isn't that much of a problem if we just put things into perspective, and there is more to us than diabetes always remember that.

9 comments:

  1. Guess what? In five years none of that will matter one wit. When people get nasty, remember someone was angry about something like this five years ago and someone will be angry about something like this 5 years from now. Guess what, it did not matter then, now or later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the information... I really love your blog posts... specially those onDiabetic Online Footcare, Diabetes Foot care Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting article. I rely on this content for self-improvement and making real changes to my life. I'm so thankful I also recently found Halki - a great way to safely lose weight and start my journey of PERMANENT DIABETES REVERSAL. I hope it can help some others before it's too late! Here it is:

    https://mmini.me/ReverseDiabetesNOW

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found out, that taking herbal treatment is the best to get rid of hpv as soon as i feel the symptoms of hpv is appearing, i took the healing process by contacting Dr Oyagu for natural treatment it works wonders, amazingly ever since I had the herbal treatment i have not feel these horrible disease anymore and my doc told me the virus is gone, i am glad i finally got cured out from this horrible disease. every hpv or herpes patients should also get in touch with this herbalist Dr Oyagu to get ride of these disease forever his email address: oyaguspellcaster@gmail.com or wahtsapp +2348101755322 thank you.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found out, that taking herbal treatment is the best to get rid of hpv as soon as i feel the symptoms of hpv is appearing, i took the healing process by contacting Dr Oyagu for natural treatment it works wonders, amazingly ever since I had the herbal treatment i have not feel these horrible disease anymore and my doc told me the virus is gone, i am glad i finally got cured out from this horrible disease. every hpv or herpes patients should also get in touch with this herbalist Dr Oyagu to get ride of these disease forever his email address: oyaguspellcaster@gmail.com or wahtsapp +2348101755322 thank you.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Bitter Sweet Life is literally the BEST diabetes comunity anywhere, I read it very often and results came shortly.
    I am also greatful I found https://rebrand.ly/HelpYourDiabetesAgainstVirus, it helped me not only build energy but regain my confidence and lose weight, especially during this pandemic issue.
    Hope it helps others!

    ReplyDelete
  7. https://bit.ly/2KNYxhG
    Diabet freedom. Learn to control your diabetes and make your life easier. Because you are normal, learn to be and feel normal. This really helps!

    ReplyDelete