Search This Blog

Monday 6 May 2013

Invisible illness

So, I was reading through the blog 'SixUntilMe' and a while back she did a 'Thirty things about my invisible illness' post. I thought I would do it too, because well, I'm bored.

1. The illness I live with is: Type One Diabetes
2. I was diagnosed with it in the year: 2009
3. But I had symptoms since: A few months before
4. The biggest adjustment I've had to make is: Trying to adjust things to fit around an unpredictable diabetes.
5. Most people assume: That Type One and Type Two are exactly the same thing and that Diabetes isn't serious and that Diabetes is all through fault of our own. They assume more like how we shouldn't eat sugar and eating too much sugar caused the Diabetes. There is more but it might turn out to be a very long list so I'm just going to stop there.
6. The hardest part about mornings are: When I get up and it's raining...or waking up low and/or having to get up early on weekdays for school.
7. My favourite Medical TV show is: Casualty
8. A gadget I couldn't live with out is: It is a mix-up between, my insulin pump, my phone or my computer. (What? I'm a teenager)
9. The hardest part about nights is: Fearing a low blood sugar during the night or having to get up to test or correct.
10. Each day I take: Two regular vitamins and I infuse insulin daily 24/7.
11. Regarding alternative treatments: There isn't any? Insulin is the only treatment for Type One Diabetes. There is only stuff that you can do to make life a bit easier; like eating healthy and exercise. None of this is a cure though.
12. If I had to choose between an invisible illness and a visible illness I would choose: Neither. I don't want any illness quite frankly. Sometimes, with diabetes not having a visible impact, it's easier for people to see me as me, and not just the diabetic.
13. Regarding work and career: I don't work. I go to school. But when I'm older I will get a job, obviously.
14. People would be surprised to know: That just because we deal with diabetes all the time, it isn't easy. There are days that hurt more often than not. I mean, that isn't all that surprising but whatever.
15. The hardest thing to accept about my new reality has been: That I will face tough days and there is nothing to make them go away because there is no cure.
16. Something I thought I could never do with my illness but I did was: Nothing. I don't think? I always knew that I would still be able to live my life with Diabetes.
17. The adverts about my illness: ...seemingly don't exist. I have never seen an advert on TV about Type One Diabetes in my life.
18. Something I really miss doing since I was diagnosed: Hmm, nothing really. I don't put sugar in my tea anymore, does that count?
19. A new hobby I have taken up since I was diagnosed is: Blogging.
20. It was really hard to have to give up: My carefree childhood and have it switched for a life of Type One Diabetes with all the worries and needles and 24/7 attention.
21. If I could have one day of feeling normal again I would: Sit around, eating food and not have to worry about doing one single bolus or prick my fingers, or feel guilty about having high blood sugars, on the complete opposite I would run around like crazy and not bring anything with me but my phone and keys, because low blood sugar won't get me that time.
22. My illness has taught me to: Be strong and appreciate those around you and the little things in life. It has taught me to be faithful and to find courage in everything I do. It has also taught me to live in hope.
23. One thing people say that gets under my skin is: "Type One Diabetes is caused by eating too much sugar" or "At least you don't have (insert devastating terminal illness here)" Okay. People seriously need to be educated on Type One Diabetes and Type Two; and yes at least I don't, but it doesn't make diabetes any less serious than it is or any less tough.
24. But I love it when people: Ask me normal, regular questions and actually show an interest in Diabetes. I also love when people read and comment about my blog and when people try to understand Type One Diabetes, but still see beyond it and see, me.
25. My favourite motto, scripture, quote, that gets me through tough times is: "Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it all together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart...that's true strength" I have a few more that I like but I can't remember them right now.
26. When someone is diagnosed I'd like to tell them: That they aren't alone, that this will all become a part of your life soon and everything will be okay, just stay strong.
27. Something that has surprised me about living with an illness is: Before having diabetes, I only ever saw others deal with illness and bad times and I saw them feeling sad and depressed and thought they must feel like that all the time; but after being diagnosed and realising that having an illness can actually teach you a lot of things to value about life, I realised that those around me who I saw deal with illness, probably see the beauty in life too, despite their struggles.
28. The nicest thing someone did for me when I wasn't feeling well was: When my friend, Chris stayed up and text me for most of the night while my blood sugar was high and I was trying to get it back down. He could have gone to sleep, but he didn't. He waited up with me until I was okay again.
29. Why talk about invisible illness?: Because Type One Diabetes is an invisible illness; unless you saw the scars on my fingers or caught a glimpse of my pump. But if you didn't know, you would never know. I walk down the street just as anyone else does, no one would know I have Type One Diabetes. It's what people don't see me doing just to keep myself alive everyday that makes it invisible.
30. The fact that you just read this list makes me feel: Like you took an interest in my answers to this "quiz" type-thing. And that you might post your own list.

Thanks for reading c:
Maybe you should do one of these too?
I'd love to see everyone else's answers c:
But for now, Goodnight.

-Ellie
[Peace&Insulin]



No comments:

Post a Comment